Warm Your Winter Evenings with Lamb or Beef Stew
Looking for a way to connect with the family at the end of the day. There is nothing like a pot of stew to warm up a cold winter day. Everyone in our family, regardless of age, loves the combination of Clarke Farm grassfed meats with vegetables and potatoes. Whether you choose beef or lamb, this hearty recipe provides a filling, nutritious meal for midday or evening. A perfect family meal!
For best results, we recommend you use a Dutch Oven or 8 qt Stockpot on the stove. We have also tried this in an Instant Pot but have found it challenging to coordinate the timing for adding vegetables.
- 1-1/2 pounds Clarke Farm beef or lamb stew meat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 large onions, quartered
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cup beef stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
Instructions for making it
- Brown the meat with 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat, until the outside of the meat is no longer pink. This will help to keep the meat juicy and prevent overcooking.
- Remove the meat temporarily and add the onions, carrots, stirring occasionally until onions are tender (approximately 5 mins)
- Add the potatoes, 1 cup beef stock, salt, pepper
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour and 1 cup beef stock, then add to Dutch Oven or Stockpot.
- If you are using a Dutch Oven remove from the heat. Cover and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- If you are using a Stockpot, reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley, chives, thyme.